Coco-Walnut Squares

 
The weather has been great, and the garden has been blooming and growing which kept me busy...but now, that my preserves are done, I decided to do some baking.  

I'm always excited to make or modify a recipe and try new ingredients, specially if the end result promises to be a healthier version than the previous one.  Ever since the fad about coconut oil I've been planning on trying it out in my baking. Finally, it happened now.

Not only I used coconut oil in place of margarine but I also replaced most of the sugar with a Date paste natural sweetener. Sorry, I don't have more pictures, but not knowing how will turn out, I wasn't planning on posting it, but once finished baking it, I was very  happy with the end result and decided to post the recipe after all, for those of you that might be interested in trying something new.  Great for snack and lunch boxes.


Enjoy!

coco-walnut squares

 Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 cup cold pressed virgin coconut oil ( I used Grace brand)
1 tbsp. sugar
1 egg, whisked and divided
1/3 to 1/2 cup sour cream

Filling:
2 eggs, separated
3 tbsp. icing sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. rum flavouring, optional
1/2 cup Date paste natural sweetener
2 cups finely ground walnuts
1/2 cup orange marmalade

Directions:
For dough, crumble together flour, baking powder and coconut oil.

Add whisked egg reserving 2 tablespoons (for brushing the top before baking) and enough sour cream to form a softer dough. Set aside covered with a clean kitchen towel.

For the filling, using an electric mixer beat egg whites until soft peaks form; add icing sugar and beat until sugar dissolves (about 1 minute).

Beat in egg yolks until incorporated ( about 15 seconds), vanilla and rum flavouring if using and last, mix in the date paste.

Remove beaters and stir in the finely ground walnuts.

Divide dough in two; Roll out first section to fit on the bottom of a 9 inch X 13 inch lightly greased baking pan.

Spread the orange marmalade evenly on top. Spoon filling over the marmalade and cover with the second section of dough rolled out to the size of the pan.

Prick top randomly with a fork and brush with the reserved whisked egg.

Bake in preheated oven at 350 F for 30 to 40 minutes or until top is golden.

Set aside to cool before cutting into squares.

coco-walnut squares

* If not using date paste, replace it with 1/3 cup icing sugar added to the egg mixture.

Enjoy!

Love to read your comments. Leave me one in the box bellow.Cheers!.

Leia’s Culinary Treasures

Comments