March 22, 2014
Individual Chocolate Sticky Pudding Cake- Gluten Free & Vegan
Have you seen all those ‘cake or cookie in mug’ recipes floating around? Pinterest is pretty full of them. The appeal is that instead of baking an entire cake or a whole batch of cookies to satisfy one’s sweet tooth, just grab a few ingredients, a mug or ramekin and pop in the microwave and you are all set!
Well, this little chocolate sticky pudding cake is just like that only healthy! It’s a warm, sinfully delicious delight (the taste is pretty similar to an Earls Chocolate Sticky Toffee Pudding), which no one would ever guess is gluten free and vegan. Plus, this cake can be either baked in the microwave for 2 min or in an oven for 15 min (I know there are controversies on microwave cooking :$)! Either way you go, this little cake is sure to delight…so better double the recipe and make two because you won’t want to share!
You may notice that the recipe will only call for 1/4 cup of chickpeas and you may not know what to do with the rest. Toss them into this tasty and wonderful Quinoa Salad.
Ingredients for 1 Cake: prep time: 5 minutes.
Bake time: 2 minutes, in the microwave or 15 minutes in the oven
¼ cup Chickpeas, mashed (either canned or dried that have been soaked in water)
1 tbsp. Peanut Butter
1½ tbsp. Cocoa Powder (make sure it’s pure to be truly vegan)
¼ tsp. baking powder
Pinch sea salt
2 tbsp. Agave syrup
½ tsp. Vanilla Extract
1½ tbsp. Grape Seed Oil
3 tbsp. Almond Milk
6 oz Ramekin for Oven Baking
16 oz Ramekin for Microwave Baking
1) First decide on if you are pro microwave or pro oven, and then grab your appropriate sized ramekin (look above in ingredients list for sizes). Very lightly grease with a little oil. If using an oven then preheat to 350°.
2) Next grab a small dish and combine your chickpeas and peanut butter and mix until smooth. Set aside.
3) Grab another little dish and combine your cocoa powder, baking powder and sea salt.
4) In a third dish combine agave, vanilla, oil and almond milk.
Combine into your cocoa mixture and stir until smooth. Now grab your chickpea mixture and combine into your cocoa mixture and stir until smooth.
5) Pour into your ramekin (alternatively you can mix everything in your ramekin right from the start-it just can be harder to stir everything smoothly). And either bake for 15 min in the oven or microwave for 2 min. If microwaving check on it after 1 min as microwave strengths vary. You want a cake that is fluffy on the edges and set but soft in the middle—don’t overcook as it will dry out. You may wonder why the different sizes of ramekins between microwave and oven…it’s because this cake rises high and then falls when it starts to cool. In the microwave it rises very fast and using the smaller ramekin it ends up making a big mess, a tasty mess, but still a big mess.
Serve warm with some vanilla vegan ice cream or go for the real stuff—you did just save yourself some damage with this cake ;)
Leia’s Culinary Treasures