Vegan and Gluten Free Cocoa and Peanut Butter Quinoa Cookies

 
My daughter loves to be in the kitchen. Ever since she was a little girl she was by my side helping me. One of the first things she learned how to make was cookies, so it’s no surprise that the recipe she has decided to share with me and with you is a cookie recipe. What is a surprise however, is that these delicious morsels are gluten-free and vegan!! Plus they have the goodness of Quinoa!! What more could a girl ask for? Oh yes, the recipe…
 
quinoa-cook8

Vegan and Gluten Free Cocoa and Peanut Butter Quinoa Cookies
Shared by Beatrice Girleanu

I stumbled upon this recipe when I was looking for a way to incorporate quinoa into my 10 month’s old diet. Quinoa, being a “whole” food has excellent health benefits for little ones and they tolerate it very well (I know my little pumpkin just loves it!) Well in my quinoa recipes search I found a quinoa cookies recipe from Coffee & Quinoa and it peaked my curiosity. I just had to try it. Here is my version of the cookie…

quinoa-cook5

Vegan and Gluten Free Cocoa and Peanut Butter Quinoa Cookies
by Beatrice Girleanu

INGREDIENTS
1 ½ cups Water
¾ cups Quinoa (rinsed if you prefer but most quinoa sold in stores is already rinsed to remove the saponin)
1 tsp. Cinnamon
½ tsp. Nutmeg
¼ cup Coconut Oil
½ cup Honey
¼ cup Cocoa Powder
½ cup Creamy Natural Peanut Butter
1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
¼ tsp. Sea Salt

DIRECTIONS
1) In a pot bring 3 cups water to a boil, then add in the quinoa, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Return to a boil. Cover and simmer on low until the water is absorbed and the quinoa has opened into it’s little spiral shape. Remove from heat, fluff with a fork and then cover for 15 min.

Quinoa-cook1

TIP: While that is cooking, make some room in the fridge for two cookie sheets.

2) In a smaller pot combine the coconut oil, honey and cocoa powder. Put pot over medium heat and bring to a boil while stirring continuously. Let the mixture boil for 1 min. Remove from heat.

quinoa-cook2

3) Stir in the peanut butter, the vanilla and the salt. Stir in the quinoa.

quinoa-cook2b

4) Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper and drop the mixture by rounded teaspoonful's.

quinoa-cook3

5) Place the cookie sheets in the fridge and refrigerate until the cookies firm-about 1 or 2 hours.

quinoa-cook6

Store in a cool place or the refrigerator.

Makes about 32 cookies
Nutritional Info (Approx.) Per Cookie : 67 Calories, 7gr Carbs, 4 gr Fat, 1.5 gr Protein

Special thanks to my wonderful daughter in providing this recipe and the inspiration for Vegan and Gluten-free cooking.

Leia’s Culinary Treasures

Comments