Pickled Beets

 
I love pickled beets but I don’t always find in the store the ones that I like. Some are too sour, I guess too much vinegar and no taste either so I decided to make my own pickled beets. I like to use apple cider vinegar and kosher salt. Canning usually takes a lot of time and effort but this are actually not that hard to make. You only need a little time and patience but the taste it’s worth it. 

IMG_7709

Ingredients:
2-1/2 kg. (about 5 lb.) beets (13-14 med. Size)
Water (about 3 quarts)
1 smaller horseradish root, cut into strips
2 cups apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1 cup sugar
2 aspirins
3-4 tsp. caraway seeds

Directions:

IMG_7703

Scrub beets with a brush and wash them well under running water. Place cleaned beet roots into a deep pot and cover with water and boil for about 45 minutes or until fork tender.

IMG_7706

Drain liquid and reserve. Let beets cool until they are safe to handle and then peel them. (while still warm, they are easy to peel). Slice them into a clean bowl.  I used a crinkle cutter to slice them but a knife will do too.

Place 2 small (1/4 inch by 1 inch long) strips of horseradish on the bottom of each jar. (I  like the taste and the kick that horseradish lends to the beets so I always use a little bit more). Pack sliced beets into the jars. 

IMG_7712

Meanwhile prepare a brine from the reserved juice. Place juice, (about 6 cups) into a pot; add vinegar, salt, sugar, and aspirins. Boil for 15 minutes.

Stir in caraway seeds. Fill jars with the hot brine covering beets and leaving about 1/2 inch head space.

Place lid on top and twist to seal. Cool completely then store them in a cool place until ready to use.
Makes: 4—750 gr. (1-1/2 pint) jars.

IMG_7713

Happy Canning !
 
Leia’s Culinary Treasures

Comments