June 06, 2013

Corn Bread

 
If you've been following my blog, you know that I love bread. I like to make it, I like to bake it (nothing like the smell of baking bread...) and I like to eat it, so no wonder when I see a recipe that sounds interesting, I get inspired to try and make something new.

This bread it is different from other corn breads that I made before as the recipe uses yeast, and the dough is made into a loaf, that comes out soft and light.

I made this bread to serve it with my Lentil Tomato Kale Soup.  A great loaf of bread to serve with Chili, any hearty soup or stew. Delicious!


IMG_1313 
Ingredients:
2-1/2 tsp. yeast
1/4 cup warm milk
1 tsp. sugar
2 green onions, chopped
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup sour cream
1/2 cup water
1 egg
3/4 tsp. sea salt
1/2 cup fine cornmeal
1/4 cup shredded cheddar
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
2 to 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour

Directions:
Place water, yeast and sugar into a small bowl; stir to mix; set aside until foamy.

Place oil into a small saucepan; add chopped green onions and sauté for a few seconds. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.

Place sour cream, water, egg and salt into a large bowl. Whisk together until blended. Add the foamed yeast, cornmeal, cheese and sautéed onions. Stir until the mixture is well blended.

Stir in the whole wheat flour and then enough of the all-purpose flour to form a dough.

Turn onto a floured surface; knead dough until smooth and elastic, about 5-6 minutes. Place in a bowl. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.

Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; shape into a loaf. Place into a greased 6-inch x 12-inch loaf pan. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30-40 minutes.

Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to wire rack to cool.

Makes: 1 loaf (about 15 slices).


IMG_1292

Happy Baking!!

Leia’s Culinary Treasures

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to read your comments. Leave me one in the box bellow.Cheers!.